The Evangelical Lutheran Hymn-Book was the English hymnal of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, published in 1912. It was published in text only and text and music editions. In its liturgical texts, Evangelical Lutheran Hymn-Book was very similar to The Common Service Book of the Lutheran Church. Since Common Service Book was published in 1917 and 1918, five or six years later, ELHB displays an older version of the Common Service and other texts. CSB seems to have undergone a revision and expansion of personal prayers, propers, and other rites. In 1941, The Lutheran Hymnal mostly retained the older forms in ELHB rather than use the updated texts in CSB.
The services in Evangelical Lutheran Hymn-Book included “The Order of Morning Service, or the Communion,” and “The Order of Evening Service, or Vespers.” The text only edition also contained “The Order of Early Service, or Matins.”
- Hymns from Evangelical Lutheran Hymn-Book can be viewed at www.hymnary.org. Liturgical material is presented below.
- Evangelical Lutheran Hymn-Book, text only edition, 1918 [Available at Google Books]
The Evangelical Lutheran Hymn-Book used Scripture texts from the King James Version of the Bible, used the British spelling of Saviour, and capitalized pronouns referring to the Deity, including Who/Whom.
For this electronic edition, different editions were consulted, so the files below may not be exactly the same as any one print edition. These files were made by modifying and correcting the texts that were generated by the pdf files of the original books and putting them into a usable format. Headings and rubrics were put in red, even though they were printed black in the original books.
The updated liturgical material combined elements from Common Service Book, Evangelical Lutheran Hymn-Book, and other resources. Rubrics are simplified. More updated liturgical material can be seen and downloaded at our Common Service Book page.
Evangelical Lutheran Hymn-Book, Electronic Resources
- Morning and Evening Prayers [pdf] [docx]
- The Order of Morning Service, or The Communion (text only) [pdf] [docx] [Graphic pdf with music*]
- The Order of Evening Service, or Vespers (text only) [pdf] [docx] [Graphic pdf with music*]
- The Order of Early Service, or Matins (text only) [pdf] [docx]
- Introits, Collects, Epistles, Graduals and Gospels (From Common Service Book. Material identical to ELHB) [pdf] [docx]
- Updated versions of the introits, collects and graduals and lessons (ESV), prepared for the LCMS Lutheran Service Book areavailable at www.sanctus.org.
- Invitatories, Antiphons and Responsories (From Common Service Book. Material identical to ELHB) [pdf] [docx]
- Collects and Prayers [pdf] [docx]
- General Prayers (Litany, Suffrages and General Prayers) [pdf] [docx]