Books from A Collection of Prayers
Now and Forever: New Collects for Modern Lectionaries
This is a book of prayers for use with the Revised Common Lectionary. The prayers, all newly composed, are written in classic collect form and find their themes in the readings for each Sunday in the lectionary. This book gives additional options for the Prayer of the Day/Opening Prayer. These prayers may also be used for concluding petitions in the Prayer of the Church (Prayers of Intercession or Prayers of the People) or may be used as closing prayers that fit thematically with the readings of the day. Pastors, lectors and worship planners may find this to be a valuable resource for prayers in the worship service.
You can check out the prayers in Now and Forever in our free Easter Sampler, which contains prayers for Easter Vigil through Easter 4 (Good Shepherd).
Prayers from the Ancient Celtic Church
Prayers from the Ancient Celtic Church is a collection of prayers from the time of Patrick (d. ca. 460-493) to the Synod of Whitby (664), and also from the Celtic Christian tradition that remained after Whitby. A few of the prayers in this book may be familiar from their appearance in other prayer books. Some may be appearing in English for the first time. All prayers (with one exception) are rendered or revised into contemporary English with the hopes that they will be useful in private and corporate worship.
Includes prayers from The Antiphonary of Bangor, The Lorrha-Stowe Missal, The Book of Cerne, The Book of Dimma, St. Patrick, St. Columba and many other sources.
The New Ancient Collects: Completely Revised and Refreshed for Modern Usage.
Prayers from the Evangelical-Lutheran Heritage
The New Mozarabic Collects: A Revision and Refreshing of ‘Mozarabic Collects’ by Charles R. Hale
The Liturgy Archive is an attempt to gather into one place various liturgies, prayers, sermons, and anything else that a Christian may find useful for prayer, contemplation and edification. Resources are from many Christian confessions and traditions.
Prayer and Verse is a resource of prayers that have been crafted throughout the centuries from an abundance of voices and traditions.
The New Book of Collects in Two Parts
Books at the New Scriptorium
- After the Third Collect – Prayers and Thanksgivings for use in Public Worship 1952 Available in: HTML
- The Book of English Collects – From the Prayer Books of the Anglican Communion: England, Scotland,Ireland, Canada, South Africa, and the United States of America With Notes, and an Essay on the Collect Form 1940 Available in: HTML
- The Book of Offices – Services for Certain Occasions not provided for in the Book of Common Prayer 1949 Available in: HTML
- Daily Prayer – Available in: HTML
- Parish Prayers – Available in: HTML
- The Pastor’s Prayerbook – Available in: HTML
- The Prayer Manual – Available in: HTML
- Prayers – Available in: HTML
- Prayers Ancient and Modern – Available in: HTML
- Ancient Collects and Other Prayers, Sel. for Devotional Use from Various Rituals; with an Appx., on the Collects in the Prayer Book, ed. William Bright, Parker, 1902
- A Book of Common Order: Being, Forms of Prayer, and Administration … Church of Scotland. Church Service Society, 1896
- A Book of Prayers: Together with Psalms and Hymns and Spiritual Songs, Ancient and Modern, Ed. Ch. Leffingwell, Morehouse Publishing Company, 1921
- Christian Worship: A Lutheran Hymnal, Northwestern Publishing House, Milwaukee, Wisc. U.S.A. © 1993 [Hymnary.org] [Amazon.com]
- The Common Service Book of the Lutheran Church, United Lutheran Church in America, 1918. See formatted and edited versions of the services and prayers at the Common Service Book page at A Collection of Prayers.
- The Lutheran Hymnary, Augsburg Publishing House, 1913, Veit Dietrich Collects available here.
- Morning and Evening Prayers for All Days of the Week, by Dr. John Habermann, Wartburg Publishing House, Chicago, 1918
- Mozarabic Collects: Translated and Arranged from the Ancient Liturgy of the Spanish Church, Tr. Chas. Hale S. T. D, New York, James Pott, 1881
- New Scriptorium contains many Anglican and other liturgical books that are out of print. It has a whole section devoted to Collects & Prayers.
- Prayers Ancient and Modern, Ed. Mary Wilder Tileston, Little, Brown, Boston, 1914
- Prayers of the Early Church, ed. James Manning Potts, Upper Room, 1953
- Prayers of the Middle Ages: Light from a Thousand Years, ed. James Manning Potts, Upper Room, 1954
- The Sarum Breviary, J. T. Hayes, Brighton (England), 1884
- The Sarum Missal, Tr. A. H. Pearson, 1884.
- Seed-grains of Prayer: A Manual for Evangelical Christians, by Wilhelm Löhe, Wartburg Press, 1914
- Service and Prayers for Church and Home by W. P. Thirkeld, Methodist Episcopal Church, 1918
- The Little Treasure of Prayers,Columbus OH, Lutheran Book Concern, 1888